Saturday, August 15, 2009

of travels: Melissa style


day one. the perspective.
Hebrews 11:6
I have learned to expect the impossible, and of all places: Offenburg, Germany. I never knew nor thought the intensity of jet lag. One hour of sleep certainly became a miracle! but, everything was beyond spectacular. The language barrier was somewhat frustrating, but extremely intriguing at the same time. To think that all over the world people belie what I believe is so mind-boggling and on the verge of unfathomable, but there we stood.
Paris was Paris. (A correction to what Lauren said: The bathrooms on the lower level were CLOSED. Thus, we had to go through security and to the top floor just to get to them.) We didn't get to venture out of the confines of the airport, but we managed to catch the flight, made it through customs in Strasbourg, and experienced crossing the border of France to Germany by car. After this I don't know that a picture can capture 1,000 words.
On the arrival to the correct location---Jessa, Lauren, and I managed to find people to help us. One guy on a tow-motor of sorts began speaking in German asking us if we spoke his language. Blank stares were given by my fellow travels. I gave him a definite 'Ich spreche nicht deutsch.' However, my bilingual abilities were proven scarce. On many occasions a flight attendant or airport worker would ask me for my passport of any such question and I confused it by over analyzing English for French. (This is caused by over preparation.)
We had a 'Bible study' which was excellent. This consisted of worship, a brief message, and prayer. Everyone was so devoted to God which really makes me look at myself and think of how much more I can be doing for God. I saw traits that I want more of. I know that me going there wasn't just for me-God has so many plans for me to touch others.

-God bless, Mel.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the blank stare story! I can see your big eyes looking at the guy and you blurting out something in German. Isn;t travel fun?

    Mrs.G

    ReplyDelete